German Chancellor Olaf Schulz believes that if Europe thinks that imposing sanctions on Russia’s fuel gas will end the war in Ukraine, there will be a major setback.
According to Schulz, any such move would endanger Europe; But it will not be able to suppress Russia.
He also warned European countries against sending arms and ammunition to Ukraine, saying that if the Western military alliance with Russia were to end the conflict with Russia, World War III would break out. The German chancellor also said that the West should be vigilant in this regard and avoid a confrontation with Russia.
In an interview with the German daily Der Spiegel on Thursday, Olaf Schulz said: “I do not think it is possible to end the war by imposing a ban on Russian gas. Putin has knowingly started this insane war and cannot be suppressed by a gas embargo; Rather, it will be a disaster for Europe. “
Europe is heavily dependent on Russia’s energy. Russia supplies 10 percent of the continent’s total fuel oil, 30 percent of its coal, and about 40 percent of its natural gas.
European countries have imposed a series of sanctions on Russia since the start of the Russian campaign in Ukraine. Russia’s oil and coal are among the sanctions.
But a proposal to ban the country’s energy and gas was also raised at a meeting of the European Union (EU), but was blocked due to objections from several countries.
Germany is one of the largest economies in Europe. Explaining the matter to Der Spiegel, Schulz said, ‘Importing gas from elsewhere will cost more, it is true; But it’s not just about the extra cost. “
“If we do not take such a step now, many factories and jobs will be shut down forever. The catastrophe that will result will be almost impossible for Europe to overcome.
On February 24, Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered a special military operation in Ukraine. Two days earlier, he had recognized the independence of the two eastern territories of Donetsk and Luhansk (Donbass Republic).
The expedition reached its 56th day on Friday. Several European countries have already sent aid to Ukraine to help in the war.
Criticizing this, the German Chancellor said, “We are not participating in the war in Ukraine. If any of our actions lead to Russia’s conflict with NATO, then World War III will break out and the possibility of using nuclear weapons will arise.
Schulz said Germany was under pressure inside and outside the country to send arms aid to Ukraine; But he is not inclined to pay attention to this pressure.
‘We certainly can’t let that happen. Because the result of a wrong move can lead to a terrible disaster.