Getting a chance to study at an Australian university can be a dream start to your career. Every year, a large number of students enrol in these universities, and this number is growing. However, many students fail to obtain their Student Visa Subclass 500 for various reasons. In the last session (2021-22), the Department of Home Affairs rejected more than 8000 student visa applications. If you plan to study in Australia, it is important to be aware of all the reasons behind student visa refusals.
Because you are applying for a student visa, meeting the specific academic requirements is one of the essential criteria. So, before you apply, make sure that you have completed the educational level needed to obtain your Australian student visa.
The academic requirements associated with this student visa also differ according to institutes. They depend on several factors, such as the level of study, university, and study level. For example, if you want to enrol in an undergraduate course, make sure you have your final school leaving certificate.
Not Satisfying the Genuine Temporary Entrant Requirement
You will not get your Student Visa Subclass 500 unless you satisfy the relevant Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement. To fulfill this need, you have to convince the Department of Home Affairs that you are visiting Australia for study reasons only and have no intention to settle down here. You will also need to inform the authority of the exact reason behind choosing Australia as your study destination.
In your written statement, you can include the following information.
Home Country Circumstances
If a similar course is available in your country of residence, you will need to tell them why you have chosen Australia over your home country. Home country circumstances such as political or civil unrest and economic crunch can be the most important reasons.
Possible Circumstances in Australia
In your GTE statement, you have to tell about your previous academic qualifications, basic knowledge about the course, financial ability to bear various expenses and planned stay.
You must also state how the course you are enrolling in with your Visa Subclass 500 will help you build a career. Mentioning your potential income in the home country will undoubtedly increase the chance of visa approval.
If you have visited Australia before, make sure you provide that information in your GTE statement. Any record of visa refusal leads to application rejection.
Not Submitting Sufficient Documents
One of the most crucial common reasons the Australian Department of Home Affairs rejects many student visa applications is not providing sufficient documents. For detailed information, you can visit the Department’s official website and go through the ‘Document Checklist Tool’ by submitting your country of residence and the education provider’s name.
Usually, the Student Visa 500 checklist includes the following.
- Identity documents, such as birth certificates, passports, and a national identity card
- Passport-size photographs
- Previous academic transcripts
- GTE statement
- An electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
- Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) details
- Adequate proof that you have the financial ability to cover various expenses that may arise during your stay
- Health examination reports if the Department of Home Affairs asks you
- Character clearance certificates
- Welfare arrangement documents, if you are under 18
If you include your spouse or partner and dependent children, they will also need an Overseas Student Health Cover and provide health and character documents.
Also, make sure that you provide the correct information at the time of your application. Your migration agent Adelaide can help you submit the documents correctly.
Lacking English Language Proficiency
In Australia, the official and working language is English. You will need to communicate with people in English at every public place like universities, markets, offices, etc. It means that you must have excellent fluency in the language.
Whenever you apply for the Visa 500, you must achieve a specific English language proficiency level. To satisfy this requirement, you have to show the score of an internationally accepted English language test like TOEFL, IELTS, Cambridge Advanced English, or PTE. So, before you start your application, always check the specific English language requirement for your 500 Visa.
Also, note that the English language requirement is not the same for the visa and the university you are enrolling in. So, always check their website before you proceed.
Submitting False Information about Finance Details
We have already stated that you must provide correct information while applying for your 500 Visa.
- Sometimes students are found to provide false information on their financial details. The Department of Home Affairs has access to several ways to verify the information submitted by an applicant, and therefore, they will reject any application with false information.
- To avoid the hassle, it is better to mention the exact course fee amount and what you need to cover various expenses and your family income and savings. The authority will cross-check the figure to determine whether you will be able to bear these costs during your 5-year stay.
- If you want to apply for an educational loan to support your study costs in Australia, mention the exact loan amount you want to take. Not only that, but you will also need to state how you will return the amount.
Not Staying Compliant with the Visa Conditions
Once you receive your visa grant, you must stay compliant with the Student Visa Subclass 500 conditions. Otherwise, the Department may cancel your visa. These conditions include:
- Working not more than 40 hours per fortnight
- Obeying the Australian way of life
- Not getting engaged in any criminal activity
- Informing the Department of Home Affairs of any change in your situation
Why Should You Get Professional Help?
Hiring an immigration agent Adelaide is always recommended for a successful application. These migration professionals are experienced and can provide valuable advice and tips to their clients.
Because visa applications involve a decent amount of fees, it may be highly frustrating to face rejections. A rejection record also prevents you from making another application. So, hiring a professional means guaranteed success in exchange for a few dollars.